I actually like the rain, but it does get tiresome when day after day is gloomy. Especially when you have things you want to do outdoors, like…I don’t know, run?
When it’s raining, you have two options. Well, three options, if you consider NOT running an option. But really, two options:
2. Run outside anyway! In the rain!
One thing that’s important to remember about running in the rain is that iPods and iPhones are not waterproof. If you’re going to bring yours along, make sure that you have some kind of protective case that will keep the elements out, or raindrops will be pouring from your eyes when it succumbs to water damage.
Also, chafing can be a bigger issue if your clothing is really wet. You may want to put some Vaseline in the usual areas, and also anywhere there’s a seam or an elastic band. Don’t forget random places like right above your tailbone, where your shorts/pants sit—I’ve gotten some wicked chafage there.
Cotton clothing becomes super heavy when it’s soaking wet, so I suggest wearing some light-weight tech gear if you can.
Another thing: Don’t be dumb. If thunder, lightning or gale-force winds are happening, don’t run outside. Just suck it up and get on the treadmill for one day.
Whether you’re inside on the ‘mill or out in the elements, of course you’ll need an appropriate playlist to accompany your rainy-day run.
And guess what? I’ve got one! Here you go—and enjoy the rain!
A LITTLE FALL OF RAIN PLAYLIST
1. She Sells Sanctuary—The Cult
2. Gimme Shelter—The Rolling Stones
3. Only Happy When It Rains—Garbage
4. Set Fire To the Rain—Adele
5. Grey Street—Dave Matthews Band
6. Mudfootball—Jack Johnson
7. Rain King—The Counting Crows
8. Dreams—Fleetwood Mac
9. Storm Coming—Gnarls Barkley
10. It’s Raining Men—The Weather Girls
11. Box of Rain—The Grateful Dead
12. Fool in the Rain—Led Zeppelin
13. Why Does It Always Rain On Me? – Travis